Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 45

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 45

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 46

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 46

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 47

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 47

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 48

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 48

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 49

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 201
Alternate Ending for New Moon by Jaxidy Alpha






Your donations help keep this site running,
thank you very much for the support!
[Reviews - 358]
Table of Contents
- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This is my first ever fanfic.  I just recently discovered this world and I'm excited about seeing people explore different possibilities with these stories and characters.  This is my speculation on how NM might have ended under different circumstances...

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Twilighted beta:qjmom

Author's Chapter Notes:
This story begins toward the end of NM when Bella is running across the plaza toward the clock-tower.  She has to get there before the clock chimes.  She takes a shortcut through the fountain...

…I leaped awkwardly over the opposite edge of the fountain, splashing water on anyone in range. I was so close, so close - my foot caught on the edge of the stone base and I went sprawling into the feet of the crowd. Some people shouted in complaint, I shouted in pain. My foot had twisted, making my shin hit the stone edge sharply. I looked down to see a rip in my jeans and blood oozing to the surface of a fresh scrape. Leave it to me to lie bleeding in the vampire capital of the world. Leave it to me the ruin everything. Leave it to me to be so slow, so clumsy, so human, so Bella.

I hurried to get to my feet. My ankle throbbing, my shin dripping. I couldn’t stop now. I was gasping, sobbing. A gentle hand pressed my shoulder to hold me to the ground. A pair of unfamiliar blue eyes were staring at me. A string of Italian followed, it sounded like a question but I didn’t understand. There wasn’t time. I pushed the hand out of my way, there was no time, no reason, to be polite.

“I can’t, I don’t…” I was sobbing, but the owner of the concerned eyes seemed to think it had something to do with my bleeding leg, “EDWARD!” I screamed helplessly into the crowd. And then the first chime sounded. The world crumbled. Too late, too late. The hand on my shoulder returned, more forceful this time. “No!” I screeched, slapping it away and trying once again to find my feet. It was useless. “EDWARD!” It was more of a sob this time. People were gathering around me. Looking concerned, asking me questions in a foreign languages. Pointing at my legs and motioning with their hands when they realized I didn’t understand. “Stop!” I was screeching, “You have to move, I have to…I have to….EDWARD!” Without really thinking about it I began pushing through their legs, crawling uselessly toward the clock-tower. It was chiming for the third time, “NO!” I sobbed, “EDWARD, DON’T!” I couldn’t see him, I couldn’t save him. It would be my fault, it was all my fault. I hoped the Volturi would be able to smell me bleeding here, I hoped they would kill me next. I hoped Alice would see this and find a way to escape. I hoped Jacob would forgive me. I hoped all of these things, yet I’d never felt so hopeless.

The blue eyes were in my face again, their hand was back on my shoulder. “You must hold still, you are injured,” a voice, a male voice informed me in a loud voice to carry over the chiming clock and in a thick Italian accent. I couldn’t focus on his face, there was only one face I could see.

“No, I can’t.” I tried again to stand, using the hand on my shoulder as leverage. “Edward,” I was gasping and crying, “Edward.”

“We will find this Edward,” The voice and the eyes were kind. Kind and stupid and holding me back. “But first we must get you some help, yes?”

“No,” I crumpled in defeat as the last chime rang. “No, I can’t help him, I have to help Edward, the sun, he’s in the sun, I have to save him.” I was sobbing, “I’m too late, I’m too clumsy, it’s my fault. I can‘t, I didn‘t…” I choked on another sob, “He’s in the sun.”

The eyes squinted ever so slightly and then widened with what seemed like understanding. But that was impossible, nothing I said could make sense to this man. The eyes searched my face and then my audience. Without warning, he was scooping me up and pushing through the crowd. He was speaking to them in Italian and they were parting. A couple of men in red blazers had come to see what the commotion was. The blue eyed man was explaining something to them. I didn’t try to get away. I closed my eyes in defeat and I wept… Edward.

I didn’t open my eyes again until the light behind my eyelids changed and the air cooled and the world quieted. We were inside now. The blue-eyed Italian man had carried me here, away from the crowd, away from Edward. Was he already dead? They wouldn’t kill him in a crowd of humans would they? They would take him somewhere, they would kill him in secret. A sob escaped.

“Hush,” the man said soothingly. “We are safe now.” He laid me on a low sofa in a dark room. I should’ve wondered who he was, I should’ve felt uncomfortable in a foreign country in a strangers living room. I was beyond feeling…

“You must tell me your name?” the blue eyes were looking into mine again.

It didn’t matter. “Bella.” I answered anyway. Bella, not a name, but a curse. He had once called me a magnet for trouble. He was right, but not trouble for myself. I hurt the ones I loved. I failed them.

“How is your leg Bella?”

I felt nothing, I was numb. I stared into the eyes mutely. I wished they were topaz. I wished they were black.

“Bella?” The eyes were frowning, “I can help you, but you must answer me.”

“You can’t help.” I whispered.

“Maybe not,” the man leaned back and looked down at my leg, “but if you don’t let me try, we’ll never know for sure.”

I really saw his face for the first time. It was kind, like his eyes. His mouth was thin and wide, his hair was thick and black. He looked to be about thirty years old. “You can’t help.” I repeated, “It’s too late.”

“Too late for what?” He was calmly rolling up the leg of my jeans so it was out of the way of the cut.

“To save him.” I didn’t know why I was answering. I felt like I was out of my body, or like I was only a body. Like I could only speak and breathe and live, but not feel. I didn’t want to feel…

He was dabbing something over my leg. It stung. It was nothing compared to the agony…

“Save him?” the man didn’t look up he just kept working over my leg. “From what were you trying to save this Edward?”

“From himself.” I didn’t realize the truth of these words before they were out of my mouth. It was true. Only he would feel a guilt so acute that he could not go on with it inside of him. A needless guilt that could not be explained.

The man looked up sharply, as though that wasn’t the answer he was expecting. Then just as quickly he turned back the my leg and asked, “What did he do?”

I shook my head. I couldn’t explain.

“Did he go into the sun in crowd?” It was a strange question.

I just stared at him and he met my eyes. Eyes that seemed to know something about Edward in the sun. Impossible eyes.

“He was going to.” I whispered.

“Ah.” The man nodded knowingly. “And in doing so he would be…” the man paused and a crease appeared between his eyes, as though he were concentrating, choosing his words carefully, “revealed?” he finally finished.

I didn’t answer. Apparently I had injured my head more than my leg when I fell. Maybe I was beyond understanding. How else could I explain this man’s questions. It was like he knew…

“Bella,” He took my hand and smiled understandingly when I didn’t answer. When I just stared at him in shock. “My family has lived in this city for nearly 300 years. Many, many, generations. It has been enough time for us to become very… aware of our surroundings… of our neighbors.” Again he was choosing his words carefully. His eyes were darting around the room, lingering at each window. “Of course, we can’t share our suspicions, they cannot be discussed. I don’t know why you are involved with this Edward who cannot be seen in the sun-” He put his hand up when I opened my mouth to speak, “I don’t want to know. I want to help you Bella, as much as I can without getting mixed up with these people of stone.”

I gasped.

He just nodded and squeezed my hand, his suspicions confirmed

My hours that felt like days with Lazzaro were excruciating. He did his best to make me comfortable, as though it were even possible. He tried to assure me that everything would be alright. He asked me a lot of questions, always speaking carefully and holding his hand up if he thought I was going to tell him more than he wanted to know about, the people of stone, as he had called them that first day. He seemed confused by the depth of my sorrow, by my relationship with Edward, by my coming to Volterra in the first place.

I didn’t cry anymore. I hadn’t known about this emotion that was so deep and devastating that it could render it’s bearer incapable of tears. It was beyond grief. It was beyond sorrow. It was beyond loss. It was beyond description, beyond naming.

“You must get home.” Lazzaro told me after picking up my plate of the dinner he had made for us. I hadn’t even looked at it.

“Yes.” I agreed while another wave of dread washed over me. What would Charlie do? I had deserted him when he needed me. I should have been home putting him back together. Instead I was half a world away falling apart. Broken again, this time beyond repair. Not even Jacob could make patches big enough to cover this hole. Not even Jacob could make sunshine strong enough to penetrate this dark.

“I don’t think you should travel alone,” Lazzaro walked back into the living room from his small kitchen.

“I have to.” I replied. I hoped desperately that Alice was already on her way back to her family. I hoped she would fulfill her promise to Jasper. I hoped that she would come to me in Forks and let me tell her how sorry I was. I hoped that if I escaped the Volturi, the Cullens would kill me themselves, for killing their brother. For killing their brother. For killing Edward. Edward was gone.

Edward.

“Bella,” Lazzaro knelt down by my sofa and again took my hand, “have you any reason to believe that my neighbors are aware of your presence in this city?” “Neighbors” was our unspoken code for the Volturi. I wondered how much this man really knew about the Volturi, about the existence of vampires. I didn’t think I would ever find out, he seemed to think it was a dangerous topic of blunt discussion.

“No,” I answered his question. “If they know about me, they think that I’m dead. Edward thought I was dead.” I chewed on my lip.

“But I thought you came here with him?”

“No, I came with his sister, we came to stop him from-”

Lazzaro put his hand up. “I understand I think.” He assured me, “Can we find this sister?”

“No,” I took a deep breath, “hopefully she’s already on her way home. Otherwise…” I let my voice trail off.

He seemed to understand.

“Where are your parents Bella?”

“My father is at home in Washington. I live with him, and my mother,” I swallowed hard. Oh how I wanted her right now, “My mother is at her home in Florida I think.”

“They let you come to Italy alone?”

“No, they don’t know that I’m here. I left in sort of a hurry.”

Lazzaro released my hand and sat back on his heels. He looked lost in thought for a moment.

“I think it would be wise,” he spoke after a long moment, “for me to escort you back to your country. If you are alright to stay with me for a short while, we will leave as soon as I acquire a pass-port. I do not think it wise for you to go alone, even if my neighbors don’t know you’re here.”

I just nodded. Grateful for the assistance. I was vaguely aware that under different circumstances, I might have found it comforting to know another human who knew something, however little, about vampires.

“Now it is late,” Lazzaro stood up. “You will be comfortable here on my sofa?”

I glanced at the window and saw that it was getting dark. Twilight.

I nodded, though I dreaded being alone. I dreaded this, my first night in a world where Edward no longer existed.

Alice's POV

I’d spent enough time with Edward to realize that it’s possible to think in whispers. To think quietly, to keep secrets even from those who have the ability to hear your thoughts. I knew a lot of it had to do with Edward's determination to give us all privacy. Much of the time he stayed out on purpose. But sometimes, it was more than that. I could have secrets from him, if I thought quietly enough, he wouldn’t hear me. Since Bella had come into our lives, I’d tested this theory more than once. There were secrets about Bella’s future that I’d protected very carefully, determined that Edward would not interfere.

I’d seen his decision to leave her in Forks and I didn’t try to sway him. I went along with his choice, because I saw that it would fail. After a short year or so he wouldn’t be able to stay away and he would go back for her. I saw them sitting in her room and her telling him that she couldn’t live without him anymore than he could without her. I saw her convince him that the only future she could accept was one where she stayed with him forever. Where she became a Cullen. I saw him agree…

I knew he had to leave her at first. He would leave so that when the time came for Bella to become one of us, he wouldn’t be able to wonder if it would’ve been better for her if she tried human life without him.

This was Bella’s future before Jacob Black.

I had honored Edward’s request that I not look for Bella’s future after we left. I felt confident in the one I already knew would come to pass, though I never let him see it. It seemed silly to pack up and leave, only to return and pick up where we left off a year later. But it was only one year, to our kind, practically no time at all. If it was part of getting Bella for a sister in the end, I was willing to do it, and I was willing to hide it from my family, especially from Edward.

I was so sure of Bella’s future that maybe I was lax. Maybe I should have went against Edward’s wishes and checked on her once in a while. Who knows what I would’ve seen, but maybe there would’ve been something. Some clue that things were changing. Maybe the future I had come to depend on wouldn’t have been as clear. Maybe it wouldn’t have had to come to this.

This being me dragging Bella halfway around the world to keep Edward from overreacting to something that hadn’t even really happened. I had never been hit with a vision as hard as when I saw Bella go off the cliff. I saw her sink into the ocean and not resurface. I had never known the kind of grief I felt when I thought she was dead. I could only imagine what kind of grief Edward was feeling. I wondered quietly. I was once again trying to keep my thoughts in whispers. I knew we were close enough now that he was in range of my thoughts. I knew it was vital to my plan that he not hear me until he saw Bella. That she was alive, and perfect, and beautiful as ever. I knew that until he saw her for himself, he would write my thoughts off as lies. He would probably try to hurry his plan, so that I wouldn’t get there in time.

It looked like we would make it. Bella was running for him even now. I saw her scream his name and try to push him back into the dark. He would smile, obviously thinking she was a ghost or a vision. The realization would cross his face, they would look at each other for a moment and then the Volturi would come. He would protect her. I would show up just in time as long as I parked the car….here!

I hid the car in a dark alley-way shadowed by the closely placed buildings. If I kept to the shadows I saw that I could make it to Edward’s alley without encountering the bright sunlight…

Something changed.

She decided to use the fountain in the center of the square as a short-cut through the crowd. Bella, Bella, Bella, no! She would trip. She wouldn’t get there in time.

It would happen in seconds, there was no time, and with the sun overhead, no way, to get there before it happened. She would be okay, a couple of scrapes…

Edward wouldn’t.

I had maybe two minutes.

My cell phone was at my ear in an instant, I quickly told Carlisle all that I saw, some of it even as it was unraveling before me. There was no time to make a plan with him. We would have to trust each other as we had so many times before. We would each do our individual best to save the ones we loved. I told him I would go straight to Edward, I told him where he would be able to find Bella… That was all there was time for. I hung up the phone and I ran.

I let my thoughts run rampant as I flew toward the clock-tower. I screamed them at him. Everything I’d carefully concealed over the last several months, everything that had happened in the last couple of hours. I sent him pictures of Bella. Standing beside Jacob in her kitchen… gasping as she realized the weight of my vision… the determination in her eyes when I told her she had to save him… sleeping on the plane… speeding to Volterra.

Please Edward, please, she’s alive. I wouldn’t lie to you, she’s alive and she’s here and we’re all in trouble…

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading.  Have a nice twilight :)