Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 45

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 45

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 46

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 46

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 47

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 47

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 48

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 48

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 49

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 201
About A Girl by Forbidden_Freedom






Your donations help keep this site running,
thank you very much for the support!
[Reviews - 22]
Table of Contents
- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Twilighted Beta: qjmom
Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter is about what Mike Newton thought when he saw the scene Bella Jake and Edward were making outside. You may argue that he's stupid, or not that deep, but I'm sure he is, he's only portrayed as fickle. In truth, he was one of the friends that stuck by Bella till the end.(zombie days)

                            About A Girl-Chapter 1

Disclaimer: I don’t own any of these wonderful characters. Even if you did sue me, all you’d get is my hard-drive. Everything belongs to Stephenie Meyer.

Mike
I walked into the school compound, head down, book bag heavy on my back, thinking about finals. Then I saw her. Bella. Every time I saw her, my heart skipped a beat. Everything about her was so natural, not preening and fake like Jessica and Lauren. She was real.

And she also had a real boyfriend. I eyed Cullen warily. They’d been attached at the hip since he came back. The gossip at school was that Bella had gone to L.A, begging him to take her back. She didn’t seem the type, but, hell, for how she was last term; I wouldn’t completely exclude the idea.

As he walked with his arm around Bella, he looked at me, with- was it annoyance? - on his face. Jeez. What did I do? You got the girl. Game over. Mike’s out.

 I thought back to last spring. Cullen didn’t look like the time apart had done him any harm. He still had the same snobbish look on his face; his nose up in the air, his arm around the shoulders of the prettiest girl in the school.

Cullen didn’t look any worse off, but Bella definitely did. She was totally and completely messed up for months. First, the news got out that they’d found her in the woods, disoriented, and basically left for dead. Yeah, way to show you care, Cullen. Then, the façade that she attempted for the next few months- that she was okay, for her Dad, I guess-but everyone knew that she was bleeding inside.

How could she take him back after that? After her zombie days, the ones that he caused? After hurting her so deeply, he was welcomed with open arms? While I, her friend through the bad and the good times was tossed at the side of the road, like a used package?

Unbelievable.

Then, in my peripheral vision, something flickered. I turned around to see what it was. It was that guy. The one Bella and I went to the movie with,- . . . the one where I got sick. What was his name again?

Johnny. . . James. . . .Jake. . . . Jacob Black.

He didn’t even go to this school. He was down on the Rez. What the hell was he doing here?

I looked him over, the once over that guys give each other, seeing who would go down, if it came to blows. Unfortunately, I’d never beat him. His height alone was . . . . . lethal.

He’d muscled up a lot more since I’d last seen him,- . . . more than any sixteen-year-old should. Jesus Christ, much more than me. I looked down at the muscled torso I had developed,- from running track and playing football with Tyler, and then looked back up to Black. What the hell was he eating?

He was really tall. Like, the freaking Jolly Native American Giant. About six foot seven, I’d guess. He was in a tight, black, short sleeved T-shirt that showed off his bulging muscles. His jeans were grease stained, from working with cars, I suppose.

He was leaning against his motorcycle, parked on the sidewalk, looking like trouble. Who was I kidding? He was trouble.

I could see it, and I’m sure all the other kids could too, if the wide berth they were giving him was any indication. Although. . . . I was sure that some, okay most of the girls passing around him were looking back, then glancing at each other, as if to say: ‘Who’s that?’

I looked up at him, looking back down after a second. His dark brown, almost black eyes were striking,- and piercing, as if he was trying to see into your soul-and could. For the slightest second, he had the strangest expression on his face,- Amusement maybe? At me? I couldn’t tell.

And I certainly wasn’t going to ask.

Cullen and Bella were walking straight up to him. I could see Cullen’s face hardening, turning to steel. I saw his slight, protective movement of pushing Bella almost behind him.

This was interesting.

Bella looked happy for a split second. Carefree, really, childlike, as she smiled at Jacob. She looked at him curiously, as if he’d turned into a giant bug in front of her.

They were a few yards away from each other, and Cullen started the conversation, looking like a disapproving father and a dangerous person at the same time. He was speaking so low, in hushed tones that I couldn’t hear what he was saying. Hell, it looked like even Bella had to strain to hear his voice.

Then, the Quileute kid talked. Snorted, actually, looking down at Edward with disdain, distaste, like he was a slimy, disgusting leech, that needed to be burned off.

I followed Bella’s eyes as she looked around, at all her fellow students on the sidewalk, attempting to eavesdrop on her conversation. Tyler nudged Austin, whose head had been buried in his bag a few seconds ago.

Edward’s lips were moving quickly, and he glanced down at Bella worriedly, as if he was afraid she’d break into million little pieces. She looked shocked, asking quick questions, looking from Jacob to Cullen, with Edward looking like he was trying to calm her down.

Jacob looked incredulous.

“Leave now.” I heard Cullen say, in a clear, frightening voice, the only audible thing I’d heard him say. He dropped his composed mask and glared at Black with hatred in his eyes; I thought the skin was going to melt right off of his face.

Jacob was unshaken. His arched eyebrows asked a question all on their own, challenging Cullen, it seemed. For a minute, it looked like one of those standoffs they’d have in Texas, where all the Saloon doors would be closed and you’d see a huge tumbleweed rolling across the sand.

More of a crowd gathered behind Tyler. Ben was near me, turning to leave, but I held him there, with my hand on his shoulder.

Bella looked like she was completely thrown. Her perfect lips parted in an ‘O’, and a dawning look fell into her eyes. She said something, and looked positively terrified.

Her knight in shining armor immediately held her, wrapped his arms around her, and stroked her face. He whispered to her, and then stared daggers at Jacob, accusing him of something.

A single tear slid down Bella’s cheek. “She’s tougher than you think. And she’s been through worse.”

Damn straight. Like when she was a freaking zombie, all those months ago, when you left her. Black looked odd, as if he was trying to remember something. Then Cullen grimaced.

Strange. If Black’s doing voodoo on Cullen, I want in.

I glanced back to Cullen’s expression. Once again it was the mask of calm with just the slightest bit of pain in his funny, discoloured eyes. He murmured something to Bella, and- once again- Jacob was sneering and scoffing at Edward while speaking only to Bella in the softest of tones.

If that didn’t say whipped, I didn’t know what did.

He laughed, a clear, carefree sound, replied, and leaned forward; still only focusing on Bella. The expression gracing his tanned face was pure innocence. He looked like a forlorn little boy talking to Bella, ignoring her bodyguard completely.

“I miss you every day, Bella. It’s not the same without you.”

“I know, and I’m sorry, Jake, I just. . . “She trailed off, with a sideways glance at her prison warden.

Black shook his head, and sighed, looking hopeless and disappointed. Yeah, he’d better get used to it, because, with Cullen around, there’s no hope for any of us. She’ll always choose him over us. Bella Swan. With those big, soulful, innocent brown eyes, she makes us feel like we’re suffering, burning in hellfire.

“Move along, Mr. Crowley.” The principal told Tyler as he cut through the circle of eavesdroppers, eager to see what was going on himself. He looked big and mean, his bushy eyebrows pressed together, in frustration that his words were having no effect.

What did you expect, Principal G? You’re dealing with teenagers who just need to finish finals. We don’t really care what we do now. We know we’re graduating.

“I mean it. Detention for anyone who’s still standing here when I turn around again.” He announced. These words had an effect. I mean, was there anyone who wanted to be kept in school for an extra hour near the end of the semester?

The audience reluctantly melted away. I backed away, skulking in a corner.

“Ah, Mr. Cullen. Do we have a problem here?” Mr. Greene asked. He seemed to have the same impression all the teachers and girls in the school did. Oh, here’s Edward Cullen. His record’s spotless and his grades are perfect, so he must be too. Plus, he’s beautiful and rich. Golly, he must be a model student.

Stupid prejudice and favouritism.

“Not at all, Mr. Greene. We were just on our way to class.” Cullen answered politely, once again sweeping all traces of discord under the rug. Pathetic suck-up.

“Excellent. I don’t seem to recognize your friend. Are you a new student here?” He asked, knowing perfectly well that he wasn’t. Mr. Greene’s bright, piggy eyes scrutinized Jacob’s insolent face.  Dumb teachers. Acting like they know everything.

“Nope,” Jacob answered, his lips smacking together on the ‘P’. Lucky him. His rudeness didn’t matter.

“Then I suggest you remove yourself from school property at once, young man, before I call the police.” Greene said, attempting a threat. It didn’t really work once there was no consequence to the action.

I mean big whoop, Police chief, Charlie Swan shows up to arrest Jacob Black, a boy who his daughter was very friendly with during her Edward-free days. Like Chief Swan would even bother.

Black had a mocking grin on his face, saluted the seething principal, kick started the motorbike, and skidded out of the compound.

Greene’s face was like an overcooked pig’s. “Mr. Cullen, I expect you to ask your friend to refrain from trespassing again.” Friend? Cullen didn’t look too friendly for any of that whole visit.

“He’s no friend of mine, Mr. Greene, but I’ll pass along the warning.” Cullen told the principal, anger glinting in his eyes, like stones.

“I see. If you’re worried about any trouble, I’d be happy to-“

“There’s nothing to worry about, Mr. Greene. There won’t be any trouble.” Cullen replied. I wondered if the trouble would be null and void because he and his brothers were planning on throwing a blanket party for Black down at La Push. That brother of his didn’t look to shy to fight.

“I hope that’s correct. Well, then, on to class. You too, Miss Swan.” Right. It was ‘you too Miss Swan’ at the end. Did he not realize that she was standing there all along? Did he? Did he and his self-centered brain happen to realize that the . . .  altercation may have been about Bella herself?

Teachers. And they call us clueless and unconcerned. Well they definitely take the gold medal.

Cullen nodded, and pulled Bella to the English building, like a rag-doll. I walked past, out of sight, and overheard Mr. Berty reciting that poem we were supposed to read. The one by that author. . . .  Robert Frost.

I didn’t do the reading, so what was the point? I couldn’t even remember the name of the poem. Wait. . . .  Maybe it was. . . . .  Fire and Ice?

Yes, that was it. Fire and Ice.

Looking back later on the Cullen-Bella-Black love triangle, and their features, it, for some reason, it reminded me of them.

 

Chapter End Notes:

With this story, or rather these different points of view, I hope to give people my opinion of the other students of Forks mind. Mike, Tyler and Eric are not as shallow as they seem. Although they may be nuisances, they're people, and have opinions on everything that happens in their school, especially Bella.

 Also, I'd like to thank one of the official betas of this site: qjmom. I know that it's your job to edit, and make sure these stories are grammatically correct, and really flow, but with the amount of mistakes I made, and the amount of time it must have taken to correct those, I applaud you. Thank you so much.