Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 45

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 45

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 46

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 46

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 47

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 47

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 48

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 48

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 49

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 45

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 45

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 46

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 46

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 47

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 47

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 48

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 48

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 49

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 201
Completing Midnight Sun by PaperArtist






Your donations help keep this site running,
thank you very much for the support!
[Reviews - 153] starstarstarstarhalf-starPrinter
Summary:

stories/82014/images/April_2010_062_modified_3.JPG

"My life was an unending, unchanging midnight.  It must, by necessity, always be midnight for me.  So how was it possible that the sun was rising now, in the middle of my midnight?"

Many have tried to finish Stephenie Meyer's "Midnight Sun" (Twilight from Edward's point of view) and from what I've seen, none of them truly finished what she started.  This ending to "Midnight Sun" starting at Chapter 13 is not only picking up where she left off, but uncovering the Edward that she created, and blending the perspectives of many to hear the rest of his story. This first book is a unique turning point in the arc of his character.

 


Rated: PG
Categories: Twilight Characters: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: Yes
Word count: 90182 Read: 113047
Published: January 09, 2010 Updated: May 30, 2016
Story Notes:

stories/82014/images/April_2010_062_modified_3.JPG

Why DOES Edward love Bella?  "My life was an unending, unchanging midnight.  It must, by necessity, always be midnight for me.  So how was it possible that the sun was rising now, in the middle of my midnight?"

Stephenie Meyer left off "Midnight Sun" right before the chapter that Edward had been waiting for.  It was his turn to ask the questions and finally satisfy his curiosity about her. 

Through Edward's eyes, we not only understand him more, we learn what it is about Bella that he loves so much, and also what everyone else is thinking and going through as well.  From Bella's perspective, the two DAYS that they spent hunting James seemed suspenseful and believable, yet what was really going on in that time?  How did James elude them, and why didn't they see it coming?  What did it feel like for Edward to face his worst enemy (himself) when he had to drink the poison out of Bella's blood?  How could he come from such a joyful high of first being in love in the middle of the book to the tortured person that we are so used to that would leave Bella in "New Moon"

"Completing Midnight Sun" takes us on that journey.  Where Stephenie Meyer brilliantly began this, now there is an ending that matches what she started.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Twilighted Supervisory Beta: qjmom

Twilighted Junior Validation Beta: myimm0rtal

 

1. Revelations - Chapter 13 by PaperArtist [Reviews - 25] starstarstarstarhalf-star (9982 words)

 

Disclaimer- Stephenie Meyer owns the rights to all things Twilight, but since she didn't finish Midnight Sun and says she won't... what can I do but relieve my own suffering, and hopefully yours as well?

If I could change one thing about Stephenie Meyer's "Midnight Sun" it would be the one tiny mention of him having a Vanquish.  I'd change it to its predesessor, a Vantage.  This is partly to make this scene more interesting (Rosalie was thinking of crumpling his car because she was so angry that Bella had found out that they are vampires), and partly because it was a small thing that added a lot to the story when you add this to BlondieAKARobin's "Dark Side of the Moon" in which Edward buys a sports car to follow Victoria with.  I asked myself the question that if he HAD a Vanquish at that point, why didn't he use it?  Bella hadn't been in it with him (so no memories that would bother him) and it's not in ANY book until Breaking Dawn (and even then we don't see him drive it). Most people will not remember that she refered to his Aston Martin as a Vanquish in the twelve chapters that she posted on her website, but in case anyone sees details like that as I do the above explanation is for you. 

This chapter is the second half of "Complications" and the last that Stephenie Meyer wrote was:


"No more mistakes. I hit the gas and then sighed as she disappeared behind me. It seemed like I was always running toward Bella or running away from her, never staying in place. I would have to find some way to hold my ground if we were ever going to have any peace."

 

2. Balancing - Chapter 14 by PaperArtist [Reviews - 7] starstarstarstarstar (6460 words)

Disclaimer to all of this- Stephenie Meyer owns the rights, and I'm not getting anything from this except relief from the torture of an unfinished book! I hope it will bring some relief to all of you as well.

Also, if you haven't read the first TWELVE chapters of "Midnight Sun" posted on her website and are reading this, you really should go there and read all that before this.  Seriously, it's brilliant, and you'll miss some great moments if you don't.  :]

 

As with Stephenie Meyer's "Midnight Sun" all the dialog with Bella and Edward is taken directly from Twilight, and the rest (of course) I get to make up!

 

3. Confessions - Chapter 15 by PaperArtist [Reviews - 21] starstarstarstarhalf-star (8450 words)

 

Everyone's been dying for this chapter, so... I will say nothing till the end notes, except (as always) Stephenie Meyer owns all things Twilight and, "Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

 

4. Mind over Matter - Chapter 16 by PaperArtist [Reviews - 9] starstarstarstarstar (8791 words)

 

I know many fanfic writers are great about putting playlists in their notes, or recommend certain songs to match a chapter, well... I'm just fortunate I can concentrate enough to write while my little ones are watching "Blue's Clues" or the "Backyardigans." So, I don't have songs for the chapters, BUT the 50s song that I found for this (the one that he sings at the beginning) is... well... pretty funny actually. 

My husband thought it was just totally not cool at ALL to imagine Edward singing this song.  I could have come up with some really wonderful romantic songs if the era was the 20s or 30s, but I'm just not into 50s music and couldn't find something that I loved.  This song, though, "You Send Me" seemed to fit Edward's joyful mood and... yeah.  Go ahead and google it to read the lyrics!  

As always, Stephenie Meyer gets all the glory, and I wouldn't mind at all if she wanted to take all this work that I've done and add and tweak things to make the real copy of "Midnight Sun" and publish it!  I'd love to see what she would tweak in it!  But, as you all know... it's not my story. I just listen to the characters and emulate the writing I see (I don't even know if I HAVE my own writing style... my husband tells me that's a good thing. *shrug*).

Also, there are so many people behind every project.  My husband did the initial grammar checking for me, and now my validation beta myimm0rtal is the one who takes the time out of her day to make sure this is up to snuff for you all!  And of course, a big thanks goes to all of you reading this.  I don't have any friends that appreciate Twilight, and it was wonderful to find this community and all you people out there, from so many different backgrounds and beliefs to talk with about Twilight!  Please let other Twi-fans know about this completion of Midnight Sun so that we can relieve even more suffering around the world.  ;]

 

5. The Cullens - Chapter 17 by PaperArtist [Reviews - 10] starstarstarstarstar (7201 words)

 

Stephenie Meyer owns the rights to all things Twilight, and, of course, I would LOVE it if she'd finish "Midnight Sun" herself!

 

6. Carlisle - Chapter 18 by PaperArtist [Reviews - 12] starstarstarstarstar (4369 words)

 

If you haven't read the first twelve chapters of "Midnight Sun" on Stephenie Meyer's website and are reading this, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?! 

Seriously... it's brilliant, and makes what I've got a bit more fulfilling than just reading my half without reading the first half of the book (this is the problem with writing the last half of a book... you never know if people actually read the first half).  

If you did read her twelve chapters though, you'll realize just how LONG he tortured himself and worried and fretted and tortured himself again with thoughts about staying away from her or being with her, on and on.  To be able to enjoy these last few chapters to their fullest, you've got to have followed his journey from the beginning. 

This chapter feels a bit like just an inbetween chapter, yet it's another step for him.  He'd already realized that he could keep himself safe for her and now he's learning that she wants him for who he is and knows his deepest secrets.  We thought his moment of joy came earlier (and it did) but now it's really (in some ways) reached its peak.  Or, to explain it better, his joy has reached its fullness in their new love. They have so little time left for him to be happy and somewhat innocent before their world comes crashing down.  I know everyone will read this and want to just read the next chapter right away, but, for Edward's sake, savor this moment.  :]

Stephenie Meyer owns the rights, as she always will. *sigh*  ;]

 

7. The Game - Chapter 19 by PaperArtist [Reviews - 11] starstarstarstarstar (7419 words)

 

Remember in Stephenie Meyer's half of "Midnight Sun" Edward couldn't read Charlie's thoughts?  He could however hear through his mind and see what he saw and read his emotions in his mind, but, just not the words that Charlie was thinking.  Also, this is the ONLY time... maybe ever, that Charlie really seems to like Edward!

This is a pretty minor thing, I guess, but whenever Edward is listening through someone's mind what they think (of course) is going to be in italics, and when he's listening to dialog through someone's mind that will be in quotes and in italics.  Just a thing that Stephenie Meyer did in "Midnight Sun" that I've tried to keep up and thought I'd mention it in case anyone cared.  ;]

Again all of the dialog with Edward and Bella is directly from Twilight and also everything that they do (he touched her face, she moved her hand, etc.) is taken directly from Twilight as well and translated to Edward's point of view with some added things as well.

I still don't own it or make money from it, it's all Stephenie Meyer's stuff and I am merely the translater you could say.  :]

 

8. The Hunt - Chapter 20 by PaperArtist [Reviews - 13] starstarstarstarhalf-star (4839 words)

 

This chapter took a LOT of research for me (as in, I read this chapter to the end of Twilight several times before even attempting the newest characters).  Also, I borrowed some of the thoughts of Victoria from "Dark Side of the Moon" by blondieAKArobin. http://www.twilighted.net/viewstory.php?sid=34 She had more of Victoria's thoughts than I chose to put in here, but that is only because Edward would have thought more about it later when he was tracking her in New Moon and remembered more of her thoughts...  at this point in history he would be taking in so much that he wouldn't focus on just her. 

As I've said before, the mind reading thing is a great tool for a writer, but also challenging as the question is always there about how much he would be paying attention to when he hears it ALL.  Again, if this is written as if he were the one writing it (since it's in first person) what would he choose to focus in on at any given time in relaying the story too? 

As always, Stephenie Meyer owns it all and I get nothing...  my payment is the grateful reviews that make me feel like all this has been worthwhile!  Thank you!  :]

 

9. Goodbyes - Chapter 21 by PaperArtist [Reviews - 10] starstarstarstarstar (4615 words)

Sorry this has taken me so long!  That's actually really unusual for me, but I have a pretty good reason (two, actually). The first is that right after my birthday (and the last chapter post), I had a little issue with a real blood sucker... only it was a tick, and involved antibiotics because of possible Lyme's disease.  So, for a bit there I was starting to think I should switch to Team Jacob and denounce all "blood suckers" (ha ha... just kidding).

The other reason is I finally finished my "Midnight Sun" inspired art.  The "PaperArtist" pen name is because of the real art that I make and sell, and you all can check it out on my blog:

http://theideabook.blogspot.com/2010/04/its-finally-done.html

There's a very small picture of it to go along with this story, but I'm technically challenged or something and couldn't figure out how to make it look good/bigger on here.  Anyway, the next chapters should come a lot quicker!  Only five or so left!

As always, this all belongs to Stephanie Meyer (except the artwork!  Yay!  I own something now!).

10. Impatience - Chapter 22 by PaperArtist [Reviews - 14] starstarstarstarhalf-star (6649 words)

Stephenie Meyer owns all things Twilight, of course, but THIS CHAPTER is almost all me!  Whoo hoo!  Fun fun. 

Actually, when I originally wrote this my main goal was to get the *feeling* of how she writes.  You know... that pacing that she has where you are unable (truly) to set the book down because your heart is racing, and you aren't blinking because you have to read as quickly as you can.  Well, when I was writing it I actually felt like that, then when I edited it (the first time) I AGAIN felt like I was about to have a heart attack as I read back over it AND I'D JUST WRITTEN IT FOR GOODNESS SAKE!  I knew what would happen, but I was freaking out. 

So, finally... I've read it through enough that this time when I edited it I was able to put in a bit more detail... I hope it's not too much or too drawn out.  I was hoping for just the right amount of suspence... I hope you will all approve.  And thanks for the reviews!  They really do motivate me to get the next chapter out faster.  :]

11. Hide-and-Seek - Chapter 23 by PaperArtist [Reviews - 15] starstarstarstarhalf-star (4381 words)

Stephenie Meyer owns the rights to all Twilight writings.

And here (again) is all of the original dialog (when it overlaps with "Twlight"). The actions are all taken from the book or kept as close to canon as humanly possible.

12. Introspections - Chapter 24 by PaperArtist [Reviews - 5] starstarstarstar (7855 words)

 

Sorry this has taken me such a long time to post!  I actually have a lot to show for my absense though.  I did about two years worth of art in two months.  Come check it out on Facebook!  tinyurl.com/PaperArtist 

The "PaperArtist" name is actually because I'm a professional artist, in case you were wondering.

13. Chapter 25 - An Impasse by PaperArtist [Reviews - 1] (9171 words)

Yes, I have finished writing all of this!  Sorry it's taken me so long to upload each one individually.  The Italics that are needed to show Edwards mind reading are tedious to go through and fix every time in this text format.  But I was reminded recently about Midnight Sun and got to reading the full thing that I have totally over again and am wanting other people to have this full experience as well.





Share/Save/Bookmark


© 2008, 2009 Twilighted Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Unauthorized duplication is a violation of applicable laws.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the intellectual property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of Stephenie Meyer. No copyright infringement is intended.