Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 45

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 45

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 46

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 46

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 47

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 47

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 48

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 48

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 49

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 201
The End of Forever by --lovetowrite--






Your donations help keep this site running,
thank you very much for the support!
[Reviews - 19]
Table of Contents
- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Still a working progress... not quite sure what happens next, but I'm working on it!

 

 DISCLAIMER:All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Twilighted supervisory beta: qjmom

Twilighted junior validation beta: angelicwish

Author's Chapter Notes:

How the catastrophe all began...          Word count- 3140


Looking back over my life, reminded me of all the beautiful experiences I’d had. And though most of these moments occurred after my transformation, I was proud to say I’d lived through some blissfully happy times as a human. Of cause, most of these I’d shared with my utterly perfect, amazing, incredible husband- Edward. I remembered simple things like running through the forest – watching the trees blur by, watching him climb into my bedroom window at night, the feel of his ice-cold marble skin, and of cause a memory that I will never forget... our first kiss. However these human memories had been hazy from the beginning of my vampire life, and they have since then gradually faded.

 

The moments that will truly remain in my thoughts took place during and after my marriage, even as a human. I can remember the wedding- the gorgeous decorations, my father proudly walking me down the aisle and the flawless face of my one love- waiting to hold me in his arms. In all my years, becoming Edward’s wife was definitely the greatest honour I’d ever received. Then, of cause, there was our first night at the Isles of Esme. The way our bodies connected, the indescribable, passion we had for each other- one of my top ten favourite nights without a doubt. And although it had not been planned, and although I’d had to endure much pain and suffering, the birth of my perfect daughter- Renesmee. Yes, these times are now murky and unsure, but they are physically attached to me, and for me to forget these heavenly moments would be against the law of nature.

 

 I can recall holding her for the first time with precise clarity, as my vampire eyes and memory were that much more acute. Her chocolate eyes staring into mine as she shared with me her precious memories of her own, thanks to her unique gift. After the transformation I could now remember every single second in exact detail and I am utterly glad this is so.

 

However, life is not without its dark times, and I had certainly had my fair share of those. But the thing was, throughout my entire life I knew that I had never experienced something as tragic and unbearable as what I was now facing. Even the point in my human years when Edward had left me, believing that I was better off without him. No, even the severe depression I’d experienced could not feel lower in this moment in time. Because now, my forever with Edward was about to end. But to explain the series of events that had lead to this moment, I’d best go back to the beginning....

 

3 years earlier

 

 My family and I- Esme, Carlisle, Rosalie, Emmet, Alice, Jasper, Jacob and Renesmee, were gathered around the television at our old Forks home. I had now lived 800 years as a vampire. Obviously, Edward and I had moved from home to home over the centuries. We’d seen the whole world- Italy, Australia, Africa- we’d lived in every country in the universe, but we’d all decided that it was safe to move back to the one place everyone called home. So eventually the entire family reunited at the big white house, and we presumed life like it had been all those years ago.  Carlisle, Edward and I worked as doctors at Forks hospital, Alice began hairdressing... again, Rosalie started a small clothes store, Renesmee attended the school in reservation with Jacob, and Emmet and Jasper joined the police force. It was as if we had never left, and it felt perfect. This was our home and now we could live here for as long as our non-aging bodies would allow us.

 

“It seems that world-wide, earth has experienced a phenomenal temperature increase. The abnormal heat occurred nationally, breaking records in all countries. Many people have suffered from heat strokes, dehydration, heart attacks and other stress related medical emergencies. The death toll is currently 30 million, and this is expected to rise due to the frightening weather forecasts for tomorrow. And with the disastrous cyclones that have occurred in many states of America, the tidal wave that devastated Asian shores and the severe floods in India, scientists all agree that a change is coming... and it’s been over due for quite some time.”

 

We all stared at the television, unable to process the information. Sure, I’d seen some pretty shocking things in my many years, but never anything like this. People were dying... everywhere.

 

“It was rather hectic at the hospital today”, Carlisle said in a flat tone. He was right, hundreds of locals had suffered from the heat and even died.

 

“We’ve just recovered from the cyclones and then this happens”, Edward commented, stroking my arm as he spoke.

 

Esme began to shake and we all knew she was crying. Of cause she would be, she was one of the most compassionate beings any of us knew, “Those poor people!”,she sobbed as Carlisle attempted to sooth her.

 

Jacob, whom held Renesmee in his lap on the couch pitched in to the conversation, “ It’s not just the people. The animals are dying too.”

 

“Jacob and I went hunting today. We struggled to find a decent catch,  so we settled on a deer corpse.” Renesmee added. Jacob tightened his grip on her, and kissed the top of her gorgeous bronze curls.

 

This brought new concerns. People were dying, and for most vampires, that meant their food source was decreasing. We were different, of cause, feeding off the blood of animals. But if the animals were dying as well, what would that mean for us?  Sure, we could always quench our thirst with humans, but I was sure none of us would even dream of killing an innocent being. And even if we did lower ourselves to that level, if global weather continued to deteriorate, was it possible that all of humanity could be wiped out? Could become extinct? It didn’t take a genius to work this out. We were all thinking the same thing, and we sat in silence. But just in case, I released my shield- which after many hours of practise I could now achieve very easily- so Edward could read my thoughts. With this he adjusted our position on the couch so I was lying down, nestled into his body, and held me tighter.

 

“We’ll be fine love”, he whispered so quietly that only we could hear, and kissed me gently on the cheek. Out of all the people I had met, I had never trusted anyone more completely than Edward, but I couldn’t help but question his words.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

The next day, as predicted, temperatures soared higher than ever before. The hospital was swarmed once again by even more patients and even more people died. I ran frantically around the rooms, checking on patients, bringing new ones in... I’d never dealt with this kind of pressure in my work before.

 

Edward, Carlisle and I worked a double shift that day but of cause we had to go home, to keep up the human disguise, looking fatigued and soar. It was dark when we returned home, but our powerful eyesight allowed us to see into the depths of the night without difficulty.

 

“I should go hunt before tomorrow.” I told them as I jumped out the car in one fast flash. My control over my blood lust had not faltered and I’d still never killed a human in my life. But working as a doctor meant you were surrounded by blood every day, and with all the patients we’d been receiving, I wanted to be able to concentrate on my job fully; not the burning in my throat.

 

“I will too.” Edward replied. We ran at impossible speed to the cottage, put down our work gear and headed off into the southerly forest. The first thing I noticed was the strange quietness. Our hearing allowed us to pin point every single sound that nature produced, creating a soft humming as they overlapped each other, but tonight there was almost nothing. I took Edwards hand and looked up at him. He’d obviously realised this too.

 

“Edward, what’s happening? There’s hardly anything out there.” I searched for sound far beyond but could only hear the scratching of squirrels and the rustling of birds wings... animals too small to properly satisfy our thirst. He didn’t answer me; he just closed his eyes and concentrated on the silence. Finally his eyes jerked open and he began running, tugging me along with him.

 

“There’s a doe up here.” He said in a strained voice. I listened harder and sure enough I heard the soft hooves trotting on the grass and her quick breaths. As we got closer we slowed down and crouched into an attack position. With precision and ease we pounced on her small body too quickly for the animal to react. Our eyes were both dark gold, not quite the blackness that represented absolute thirst, but we quickly began to lap up the thick blood that oozed from its neck. It was apparent that Edward was allowing me to drink most of what the doe had to offer, but I wouldn’t allow that. So I forced myself to up from the ground and wiped my mouth.

 

“I’m done.” I lied to him. How badly I wanted to suck on the remains. Lying to Edward was never an easy thing, and once again he caught me out.

 

“Bella, your eyes are hardly gold.” He stared into them, willing me to drink some more.

 

“I’m fine Edward. You’ve hardly had any.” He sighed deeply and glanced over to the doe, watching the blood drip onto the grass and into the earth. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me closer to his body.

 

“Bella...you know you’re unbelievably stubborn.” He bent down his head and pressed his lips to mine, for a short but heavenly kiss. I wanted to kiss him more, to crush my lips down on his all night...but he pulled away and looked into my eyes. After all of these years, I still hadn’t gotten over their melting intensity.

 

“Please, will you continue to drink with me.” After a kiss like that, it was pretty hard to say no, and in a daze I followed his orders.  If I were human, I would quite possibly have collapsed. We finished off the carcass in silence, and this time he didn’t hold back.

 

“I don’t think the wildlife population is going to increase for quite some time now.”  He sighed and stood up after we were finished, “So we’ll have to share what we can find. I believe the others will do the same... otherwise we might have to look elsewhere.”

 

Throughout this whole ordeal, Edward had kept incredibly calm. Actually, most of the Cullens had. So how come I was the only one that was making the situation into a bigger drama than it already was? I felt like a scared little child, making melo-dramatic assumptions. No matter what we would always find food, even if we had to stray away from Fork. We would always find something, wouldn’t we?

 

“Sure” I agreed, and rested my head on his shoulders. I tried to ignore my worries but Edward had learnt to read me like an open book.

 

“What’s wrong Bella?” he asked gently. It sounded ridiculous asking this question. We were indestructible. We were to live forever. I was over exaggerating what was merely a small decrease in wildlife numbers.  But I asked anyway.

 

“Can vampires...starve.” I stuttered.

 

Like music, he laughed his beautiful laugh and hugged me tightly “Bella, we have nothing to worry about. Things will get better.” So for now I let go of my concerns and decided to relax. If Edward said we would be ok, we would be ok. I was simply over-reacting.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

Renesmee was the centre of my universe, next to Edward. She was the loveliest, beautiful and caring woman I always knew she would be.

 

After the battle with the Volturi, she continued to grow at an abnormal rate, compared to that of a human child. After just five more years, she had the body of a 17yr old and after this ceased to age. So I could no longer be her mother in the eyes of the public. As a result, Edward and I posed as her siblings and Carlisle and Esme- her adopted mother and father. Her brain developed along with her body at alarming speed, and although she was technically just under 7 years of age, she could easily handle the high school work standard. Although she often preferred to work in the music industry- she possessed the voice of an angel, just like her father.

 

It felt bizarre to stand beside my daughter. Our skin maintained perfect youth, though I was 19 years older than her; but we looked the exact same age.  However, there were obvious differences which could not be ignored.

 

Her skin, since she was born, was as hot as fire- very similar to Jacob, and blood pulsed through her body, making her cheeks rosy pink. I was glad, however, that she had not inherited my terrible blushing habits. She was unmistakably ten times more beautiful then myself; of cause she would be, having a God-like father. Her bronze coloured hair- just like Edwards- tumbled down her shoulders in luscious waves. Her two, round chocolate eyes contrasted perfectly with her perfect heart-shaped face. She was tall and slender; she had the body most women would kill for. In truth, she looked like a Goddess. Before she was born, I’d thought Rosalie’s beauty would never be beaten. But after seeing her for the first time, I knew that Renesmee would become the stunning, young lady she was today, and she truly was the definition of exquisiteness.

 

Standing in the sitting room in the big house, I watched her now as she lay sprawled over the couch. She lay on top of Jacob, covering his face in her hair, as they both snored softly. It was a sweet sight, and I envied them for being able to sleep.

 

If I were to have arranged a marriage for Renesmee, I would have chose Jacob as her husband. I couldn’t have been more proud, on her wedding day, as she walked up the aisle holding Edward’s arm... her soft white dress flowing gracefully behind her. I remember seeing Jacobs beaming face, standing in his tuxedo; it had looked overly-fancy on him and it had made him look slightly uncomfortable. My best friend, the person I trusted and loved like a brother, married my daughter and on that very special day I cried with joy, minus the tears.

 

Thinking of these things only temporarily distracted me from the day’s terrible events. It was now six months since the first major heat wave swept across the planet, and now things were ten times worse. The temperature had continued to climb, and millions... 100 million at least... succumbed to the heat. Natural disasters were occurring time after time again, cyclones were ripping their way through the Alberta state at that very second. Humans were at loss... and there was nothing we could do but sit helplessly and watch. Animals were also rapidly decreasing in numbers and we’d been forced to hunt miles away from the house in order to find half decent prey.

 

Before I even registered the movement behind me, Edward had wrapped his arms around my waist and kissed the back of my neck softly.

 

“ Let’s go back to the cottage...” he murmured in my ear. I agreed without hesitation, and we had run back to our real, true home, in a matter of seconds. We headed for the bedroom and he laid me down gently on the pretty white bed. Eagerly, he kissed my lips and moved swiftly down my cheek to my neck. It felt blissful and I could feel the sparks of electricity pulsing through our bodies already... but I wasn’t in the mood to make love tonight.

 

I sighed and pulled back from his lips. He stared into my eyes, hurt by my reluctance and I whispered to him, “I’m sorry... I just don’t feel very well.”

 

It probably sounded strange, to say that I was unwell... vampires didn’t usually feel sick or pained. As if I were human, Edward immediately became anxious. He sat up and moved his hand to my shoulder.

 

“Are you alright love... are you-“

 

“No, Edward I’m fine. I just feel. . . sickened by this whole international crisis”. I stroked his cheek to show I was ok, and he pulled me up so I could lay cradled in his arms.

 

“Do you want to talk about it love?” he offered.

 

I sighed. There were many things I wanted to talk about. So many silly worries that I would just embarrass myself with. I stared into his eyes, searching as deep into the gold as I could. Although, you couldn’t really call them gold. They were closer to a dark bronze. . . not quite black and not quite the honey colour I adored. Since the lack of prey, we were never fully quenched anymore. Finally, I decided to vent out my anguish.

 

“I’ve been reading some history books, on evolution.... ice-ages, interglacial warm periods and those kinds of things.”

 

He didn’t say anything, he just listened for me to continue. Except that I really didn’t know where I was headed with this.

 

“Edward. . . .you never answered my question, can we. . .starve?” I stuttered.

 

For a moment he considered this, and then replied, “It’s never happened before, I don’t know”, he took my hands and continued, “but Bella, like I said, we will be fine.... I won’t let anything happen to us.”

 

“But you can’t promise something like that. What if... what if all the animals and people die, what if the Volturi break down and our kind gets out of control, what if-“

 

“What if the sky turns to fire and our noses drop off”, he interjected, “Bella, there will always be food. We will always find something, even if we have to travel the whole world to reach it.”

 

I turned away from his face, because I was having trouble believing him. But he lifted my chin up with his warm fingers and kissed me on my lips, and through this kiss a wave of reassurance washed over me.

 

“Nothing will get in the way of our forever Bella love. I won’t allow it.” I sighed with relief and comfort, placed my hand on his cheek and put my mouth to his; giving him my trust and love.

 

 

 

 But how wrong he was....