Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 45

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 45

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 46

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 46

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 47

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 47

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 48

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 48

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 49

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/header.php on line 201
Forever by JewelzIsWeird






Your donations help keep this site running,
thank you very much for the support!
[Reviews - 29]
Table of Contents
- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I own nothing. Not the author, story, movie, characters, or books in general.

Twilighted Beta: everwondering


“He didn’t come back. He never came back,” Bella muttered as she sat in the rocking chair on her front porch.

 

She was alone, having never married or having kids. The Cullens were long gone and never to return. Charlie had died when Bella was twenty. Jake had imprinted on a lovely girl named Amber, and together they started their family in La Push.

 

“Why didn’t he come back?”

 

Bella now lived in a small cottage in the woods near Buffalo, New York. She couldn’t stay in Forks; it was too painful. Why she chose Buffalo though, she wasn’t sure. Maybe she thought he would stumble across the area at some point; it snowed and rained enough.

 

“Why can’t I just die?”

 

Bella hadn’t always talked to herself. It didn’t really start until she turned ninety, two years ago. It became worse when the doctor told her that she only had weeks to live. Her appointment had been a month ago.

 

“I wasn’t supposed to die.”

 

She remembered well that her plan was to become a vampire with Edward and live with him. Forever. Until he…left.

 

The faces of Alice, bubbly and hyper, Esme, warm and loving, Carlisle, kind and fatherly, Emmett, burly and fun, Jasper, quiet and reserved, and Rosalie, beautiful and closed off, plagued her mind. They filled her with memories, filled her mind. Their house, their voices, their laughs, their faces, their cars. Oh, their cars! Her favorite was always Edward’s Volvo.

 

“Oh, Edward.

 

Edward’s face and voice outshone them all. His crooked smile, the emotion she foolishly proclaimed was love shining in his eyes, the way he told her he didn’t love her.

 

“No, Bella, don’t think about that.”

 

Her mind switched gears to her impending demise. She could feel it inside of her that she’d be dead in twenty four hours. Nobody would find her for days, maybe even months. She only ever saw or heard from anyone every few months. Not even her mailman came all the way back to her, probably because she just didn’t have mail. She’d have to call Jake soon; he’d want to know.

 

Bella,” Edward’s silky voice called to her.

 

“Bella, you truly are going crazy. Edward isn’t come back.”

 

The more she though about it, though, the more odd it seemed. Her memories were never that accurate or perfect or clear.

 

“Bella, I did come back,” the voice pleaded.

 

“Who’s there?” the old woman croaked, hoping whoever it was would let her die in peace in her rocking chair.

 

“Bella, it’s Edward. Your Edward. You must remember,” the voice pleaded.

 

“Bella, you’re hearing things again. Oh, you poor old girl. You should probably take a nap soon,” she muttered to herself.

 

“No, Bella, don’t take a nap. You won’t wake up. I’m right here.” Edward’s figure, as young and perfect as it was in high school, came out from the trees, walking up the steps to the older woman. “You’re still so beautiful.”

 

“Oh dear, now I’m hallucinating as well. I really do need a nap.” The older woman began coughing as she stood up, starving for air.

 

“Bella, sweetie, please. Don’t go to bed. I need to say good-bye to you. I need to kiss you, hug you, tell you how much I love you, how sorry I am. You can’t go to sleep yet,” Edward pleaded.

 

“My poor old mind is really losing it.”

 

“Please, Bella, just believe me. I’ll change you if you want, really. I’ll do it. Just believe me and don’t go to sleep,” Edward continued to plead.

 

“Now I know you’re a hallucination. Edward would never change me.”

 

“Bella, please.”

 

“Edward. It’s not you. Edward didn’t come back.”

 

“Bella, let me talk to you, just listen to me. I’ll explain everything. Then you can tell me that I’m a hallucination. Just don’t fall asleep yet, please?”

 

“A-alright, Edward. I’ll listen.” The woman whispered softly, knowing if it was really him, he’d hear.

 

He smiled, though it seemed almost painful. It was a sad smile; he knew what was happening to her.

 

He gingerly placed a hand on her back and led her into the living room. A small, old couch and an armchair sat facing a TV, a small table with coasters in the middle of the two. Edward helped Bella lie down on the couch, holding her hand as he crouched on the floor.

 

“I lied to you, Bella. It was the biggest, worst, hardest-to-tell lie of my entire existence. When I left, Bella, none of it was true. I-I loved you so much. I-I still do. I only left for your safety. After Jasper…I couldn’t stand it if something else like that happened to you…if I couldn’t save you the next time. I had to go. It was torture, absolute and horrible torture. God, I love you so much, Isabella.

 

“The entire family has been beating me up about it. I couldn’t even stay with them for the first year. When I did go back, I was a wreck. I hid in a corner in my room. I haven’t touched a piano or my music. I haven’t been able to feed off of deer because their eyes remind me so much of you. I couldn't touch any innocent creature; it killed me because I knew you would’ve been hurt if you knew.

 

“I only lasted two years away from you, Bella. I’ve been with you since then. I followed you from class to class, stayed near your dorm in college. I went with you to work, stayed in your room while you slept. I’ve been hiding in these woods since you moved here. I was so afraid what would happen if I exposed myself. At first, it was only going to be for a few days, then a few weeks, then a few years. It turned into forever as I saw you in that constant depression. I had to watch over you.

 

“Last month, when you went to your doctor’s appointment, Alice called before I could follow after you. She told me that you’d die today when you fell asleep. I couldn’t let that happen without saying good-bye or giving you the option of becoming one of us. I understand if you don’t want to or still find me a hallucination. I just want you to know, that if you chose not to be changed, I’ll be visiting the Volturi as soon as you…as you…”

 

“Die?” Bella finished.

 

“Yeah, that.” Bella smiled and Edward smiled back, sadness clear in his eyes. “I love you, so much Isabella Marie Swan. You don’t know how badly I’ve regretted leaving you, telling you that lie, not making you a Cullen--or Masen if you would’ve preferred--not making you one of us. I regret it all so much. So, I’m giving you a choice. I could…change you into a vampire, or you could…you know…in peace. It’s up to you, but either way, know that I love you, and know I’ll be with you no matter which you chose.”

 

“Edward, I do believe you…kind of. But, I still want to die in peace. It’s been what I’ve been looking forward to for years, being able to say good-bye. I’ve lived in misery since you left, and I don’t even want to face the chance of remembering as a vampire. I want to forget everything, let myself look like a seventeen year old again, remember you better. I wish you wouldn’t go to the Volturi, but I know I can’t very well stop you after I die.” Edward chuckled darkly at his love’s small joke.

 

“If you’re sure. Just…have one more meal, take one more bath, change into your favorite outfit, do your hair and make-up how you’d like, then wait for me before lying down in your bed. I want to stay with you while you…sleep,” Edward said, tears wanting to fall from his eyes. “I’ll cook you whatever you want while you take a bath and change. Just tell me what to make.”

 

Two hours later, Bella waited for Edward to come in. He was finishing the dishes and calling his family to let them know. They would begin plans for the funeral, come to the house, call the cops and tell them they found the old woman dead her with her traumatized grandson. Edward had decided he would stay for her funeral, and then he would go.

 

He climbed into the bed and motioned for her to join him. She lay down gently, and Edward wrapped his arms around her frail body, careful of the fragile bones. He snuggled as close as he could to her, nuzzling his head into her neck.

 

“I love you, Bella.”

 

“I love you, too, Edward.”

 

Silence enveloped the pair as the old woman’s breathing evened out, and her heartbeat became slower…slower…non-existent.

 

Edward dry-sobbed for his missed years, for her doubt of him, for his lies, for his miserable existence, for his family.

He sobbed for his love.