Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
Twilight Forums - Twilighted • View topic - What erks you in fandom???

What erks you in fandom???

What about Admiral Fic? Captain Fic?

Re: What erks you in fandom???

Postby dazzled eyes22 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:12 am

Sylvianna wrote:I guess you're right and they're taking their cues from Meyer. I didn't know she actually said that, but it says a lot about her as a role model and, seeing how many people have fallen for the intellectual trap that Twilight is, I'm thinking these books are far more dangerous that I gave them credit for initially.

Yes, Meyer is definitely not a role model, but I think it wrong to put that kind of pressure on any human being. Humans were never meant to fulfill that role.

The books were a great escape, but just don't hold up to close inspection. Stephenie created a great world and a few interesting characters, but it was her first venture into writing. I am just disappointed that she doesn't know how to take criticism, admit when she was wrong and blames BD's failure on the Rob effect.

If you want to see the interview that I got that line from, the link is in the BD fail book thread. It is from MTV's first BD interview with Meyer which aired around the release of Eclipse.
dazzled eyes22
New Coven Member
New Coven Member

Postby Sylvianna on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:47 am

Oh, I agree with you. I didn't mean it in the sense of her... personally, being a role model (as in you feel the need to copy her personal life) but in the sense of the message- or messages- she sends via her work.

Yes, many of us who are critic with her work agree that Twilight had potential, that the idea behind the plot could have been the germen of something at least nice enough, enjoyable even, if not particularly deep. The problem is that the more you look into it the more pernicious you find her work. I don't think it's just a matter of inexperience. I've read several works from people who are new to the world of literature- some of them even Mormons themselves- and the message isn't so dangerous. Try looking for Tracy Hickman's early works, and you see elements from his belief system, but his YA books are not even 1/10 as dangerous as Twilight for people that, particularly at that age, take cues from things they admire.

For me Twilight is becoming something similar to a coral snake. At first glance you think "wow, look at that! With the pretty colours and patterns" but if you get close enough you'll find exactly how potent the venom is. When I read the books, I dismissed many things as oddities of no importance, but when you see how important it is for people and how they take their cues from that, I don't know. I, for one, am scared, particularly because fanfiction has become a loudspeaker for those messages. So you can dismiss them once, but not when you're inundated by them every day for years. And I find it dangerous that people are believing in the equation Yvla wrote. I think that's a very dangerous message because it's calling for women to do the same thing with men that men have done to women for centuries, objectifying them.
Sylvianna
New Coven Member
New Coven Member

Postby WithMe92 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:37 pm

I hate when an author has a couple of stories going at once and is writing vastly different Edward's (or Bella's...etc.) and they leak into each other. Like you're reading this great story and you're into the characters and all of a sudden they do a 180 and you think you're accidently reading something else.
WithMe92
New Coven Member
New Coven Member

Postby Longing for Edward on Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:32 pm

Is anyone else sick of the obsession with giving the fanfiction kids names beginning with the letter K - the names aren't even cute nor do they flow with the family names of the characters. I am about to flounce on a fic that now has four such children. The author's profile doesn't say an age but I am thinking it is a teenager.

I would almost prefer Rennesme - do people really think giving all their children random names starting with the same letter is clever...I guess it would be if they were nice names that flowed with the family name instead of being clumsy and contrived.

Sorry for the rant but this K habit has shown up in quite a few fics lately.
Longing for Edward
Coven Member
Coven Member

Postby Sylvianna on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:27 pm

Longing for Edward wrote:.
Is anyone else sick of the obsession with giving the fanfiction kids names beginning with the letter K - the names aren't even cute nor do they flow with the family names of the characters.

I never noticed this exactly, but children names are contrived in *too many* fics. However, I'm extremely annoyed with the "...-ward" thing. The running joke when debating about a particular Edward in forums was OK up to a point- it's gotten old though-, but authors using the nickname in the story, through other characters' mouths- is something I can't stand.
Sylvianna
New Coven Member
New Coven Member

Postby Longing for Edward on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:23 pm

Sylvianna wrote:
Is anyone else sick of the obsession with giving the fanfiction kids names beginning with the letter K - the names aren't even cute nor do they flow with the family names of the characters.

I never noticed this exactly, but children names are contrived in *too many* fics. However, I'm extremely annoyed with the "...-ward" thing. The running joke when debating about a particular Edward in forums was OK up to a point- it's gotten old though-, but authors using the nickname in the story, through other characters' mouths- is something I can't stand.

I totally agree.
Longing for Edward
Coven Member
Coven Member

Postby alexajaye on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:43 pm

Longing for Edward wrote:
Sylvianna wrote:

I totally agree.

I'm pretty sure that stemmed from some fan really wanting to give the "Edward" in their story a certain characteristic that could only exist if she titled it. I recently read one that was labeled. "UFCward." I'm not even sure what that's all about, but I'm sure it had nothing to do with the way Edward was in the books or in the movies, which I'm sure someone thought was a bad interpretation anyway.

And I also agree. It's annoying. And not completely imaginative either.
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein

Dark Angel: Light Within Darkness EdwardxOC

The Ties that Bind Post BD ExB

The Choices We Make Sort of Edward/Bella with some Lucy at the end

Rainbows and Storm Clouds - Carlisle and Edward

^My Twilight stories on FanFiction.

Bonding over Debussy and Chocolate Milk

My New story on The Writer's Coffee Shop.

My Photobucket

^Warning: Some spoilers unless you read my stories.

^^awesome banner made by Me

^^ Banner made by me for my new story <-- Check it out
alexajaye
Newborn
Newborn

Postby sandstone on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:09 pm

Character Assasination-The characters of twilight are changed or transformed in Fanfiction.

Twilight and fanfiction are two different things. The line becomes blurry in our minds, but Fanfiction are storys by many different authors; each with there takes, opinions, point of view, exagerations, and desires, some using ff as an outlet. It isn't Stephanie Meyers writing the story, it's another author writing a FF story.

What could be a problem in FF characterization, not that the writers admitt this, but they already have a pre-dislike for the Edward character(or boys in generl) to begin with. So they incorporate this into there story. They make Edward eat it in a story because of an overpowering dislike or the desire to make him wrong.
Oddly enough Iv'e found this the other way around in fanfiction as well, the author has a dislike for Bella, so they have Bella treated badly, knocked emotionally down or even hurt by Edward. Writers dislikes are put into FF and attached to the theme of Twilight, creating peculiar characters in a story.

The Twilight series was a great story. The reader may have criticisms and disagreaments. But I could not blaim Stephanie Meyers for the things that have gone wrong in Fanfiction.
I can imagine what storys can be when true writers wright for the journey of creating an interesting plotline with a theme.
sandstone
Newborn
Newborn

Postby sandstone on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:56 pm

Does anyone believe it ruins a story, for the main character to become involved with someone else, when the pairing of the story is otherwise different.

I'm speaking in particular of Bella and Edward pairing story's, that involve Bella becoming intimately involved with someone else (usually Jacob) other than Edward. This sometimes happens with other characters and Edward as well. The story is usually an Edward and Bella pairing, a misunderstanding happens, or they are separated. Bella becomes sad and still deeply cares for Edward, then she intimately becomes involved with someone else. It includes Bella seeing Edward again or just deciding she should be with someone, even though Edward is in her mind and heart. The conclusion of these story's is Bella and Edward getting back together.

I've read story's have third party involvement but don't play out the same. With these story's it seems the story has either taken a bad turn or has entered a bizarre scenario.
These story's have main characters still in love with someone but they play the field. Bella makes a sudden,(Edward is sometimes still in the picture) impulsive decision and takes the next step with someone else, and Edward is still in her mind. In the end the story it's just a Edward and Bella pairing, or whatever the character pairing marked is.

There have been mention of third party situation that have made sense, but there are many story's that have seemed to take a strange course of events, or have had a depressing outcome. The story strays from the intended pairing. I was just curious to know everyone's opinion.
sandstone
Newborn
Newborn

Postby dazzled eyes22 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:16 pm

sandstone wrote:Does anyone believe it ruins a story, for the main character to become involved with someone else, when the pairing of the story is otherwise different.

I'm speaking in particular of Bella and Edward pairing story's, that involve Bella becoming intimately involved with someone else (usually Jacob) other than Edward. This sometimes happens with other characters and Edward as well. The story is usually an Edward and Bella pairing, a misunderstanding happens, or they are separated. Bella becomes sad and still deeply cares for Edward, then she intimately becomes involved with someone else. It includes Bella seeing Edward again or just deciding she should be with someone, even though Edward is in her mind and heart. The conclusion of these story's is Bella and Edward getting back together.

I've read story's have third party involvement but don't play out the same. With these story's it seems the story has either taken a bad turn or has entered a bizarre scenario.
These story's have main characters still in love with someone but they play the field. Bella makes a sudden,(Edward is sometimes still in the picture) impulsive decision and takes the next step with someone else, and Edward is still in her mind. In the end the story it's just a Edward and Bella pairing, or whatever the character pairing marked is.

There have been mention of third party situation that have made sense, but there are many story's that have seemed to take a strange course of events, or have had a depressing outcome. The story strays from the intended pairing. I was just curious to know everyone's opinion.

Yes, I agree this happens a lot and I often wonder what some writer's version of love and romance is.

If Bella can be intimate with someone else after a fight with Edward and yet proclaim to still love him or vice versa, I truly doubt love is what they are feeling and begin to question if they are even meant to be together.

Now I know subconsciously the writers are exaggerating the events of Eclipse with Bella cheating on Edward with Jacob on the mountain and Edward forgiving her and taking the blame on himself, but come on. That was the worst part of the book for the main couple, not the best and definitely not worthy of being emulated.
dazzled eyes22
New Coven Member
New Coven Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Fic Discussion