Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/twilight/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
Twilight Forums - Twilighted • View topic - What was the first fanfic genre you read?

What was the first fanfic genre you read?

What about Admiral Fic? Captain Fic?

What was the first fanfic genre you read?

Postby fallayna on Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:01 pm

The first type of fanfiction I started out reading was *gasp* Hanson fanfiction. I started reading it in 1998 a year after Hanson got insanely popular with all of us teeny boppers at the time. I would stay awake til 5am reading updated stories and talking about them, etc. I was 14 at the time and it was summer, so I didn't get into too much trouble LOL! I remember getting pissed at my dial-up internet when it didn't want to connect and couldn't read my stories.

When I grew bored of Hanson fanfiction, I went on to Backstreet Boys and N'Sync.

I didn't start reading again until 05 or 06 when I started watching That 70's Show and became obsessed with the Jackie/Hyde ship. Then I moved onto Pirates of the Carribean and now it's Twilight and Harry Potter!

So yeah, I'm old but I'm still a teenager at heart! What about you guys??
fallayna
Bitten
Bitten

Re: What was the first fanfic genre you read?

Postby heavenli24 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:38 pm

I'm the same age as you (I was 14 when Hanson's MMMBop was released) - we're not that old, are we? :P

We didn't get internet in our house until the summer of 1999 - at that time I was really getting into watching Buffy on TV and so I would go onto the internet after the episodes to look up episode reviews and screen caps etc. I'd seen something called fanfiction mentioned on some of the sites, but it wasn't until April of 2000 that I actually read any. The first fic I ever read was a POV piece (both Buffy's and Angel's) of when he spent the night in her room in the first season - I loved it and after that I got hooked. By that point they were up to Buffy season 4/Angel season 1 on TV and as I was a big B/A shipper, I started reading loads of fixing-it stories (getting them back together, he never left, he turned human etc.) :).

Both the shows (Buffy and Angel) and the fanfic were big crutches/escapes for me at that time in my life - I was 17 when I found fanfic and I was going through a really rough time. My school friends had apparently decided I wasn't worth their time anymore (still to this day, more than 10 years later, I have no idea why) and I got really depressed. The show and the fanfic were essentially what kept me going for the last 2 years of high school.

I read Buffy fic constantly from 2000 until 2005, but I didn't attempt to write anything - we only had dial-up on one computer in the house during that time and we had to keep track of the number of minutes we spent online each day as it was expensive, so I used to connect, save the new fics and updates to floppy disk as fast as I could and then transfer them onto my offline PC upstairs to read them!

In 2004, I re-discovered the TV show, Roswell (I'd watched it when it was first aired, back when I was reading Buffy fanfic, but didn't really get into it then) - I'd spent a year living in New Mexico on study abroad and had visited Roswell while I was there. When I returned to the UK, I bought the DVDs and then discovered the fanfic. I read Roswell fanfic for about 7 months before I finally decided to write something of my own. Almost 6 years later, I've written 22 fics for Roswell and I'm still going (slowly, but surely as RL keeps getting in the way) :).
heavenli24
Bitten
Bitten

Postby vivaciousv1114 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:02 pm

Wow, this takes me back a loooooong time ago. lol I started out reading 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' fanfiction actually. I absolutely loved the show the show and somehow I managed to stumble across fanfiction while being a BTVS stalker online. :)

I then moved on to Harry Potter, where I discovered my love of slash fiction. (Harry/Snape and Harry/Draco *swoon*) And then it was all downhill from there lol. I dabbled in other fandoms such as Daria or Stephanie Plum but my main ones are BTVS, Harry Potter, and Twilight. The last two of course seem to have the biggest followings, that I'm aware of anyway. Which means the writing is much more prolific and I can always get my fix. Other fandoms are smaller and tend to update too slowly for my taste. ;)
vivaciousv1114
Human
Human

Postby alexajaye on Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:27 pm

Not only did I read Hanson fiction, I wrote it! I was only seventeen, but I'd already been writing for eight years. They were a stepping stone for me. The best band I've ever heard.

I started reading fanfiction around that time, but I don't remember when I started reading FanFiction.net. I started reading Harry Potter fiction, but I could never write it. Harry Potter is just perfect to me, so I couldn't ever mess with it.

I didn't start reading Twilight fanfiction until after Breaking Dawn had come out, and at that point, I was already writing my own Twilight fiction. I've got over a dozen stories and counting. But I also read Avatar and Supernatural. Percy Jackson and James Bond. I try to have a really eclectic collection of stories to draw from.

:-)
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein

Dark Angel: Light Within Darkness EdwardxOC

The Ties that Bind Post BD ExB

The Choices We Make Sort of Edward/Bella with some Lucy at the end

Rainbows and Storm Clouds - Carlisle and Edward

^My Twilight stories on FanFiction.

Bonding over Debussy and Chocolate Milk

My New story on The Writer's Coffee Shop.

My Photobucket

^Warning: Some spoilers unless you read my stories.

^^awesome banner made by Me

^^ Banner made by me for my new story <-- Check it out
alexajaye
Newborn
Newborn

Postby WithMe92 on Sun May 01, 2011 11:41 pm

I remember first reading b2k and 3LW fanfiction stories. I then moved to Harry Potter (I'm still there!) and various movies and TV Shows before Twilight.
WithMe92
New Coven Member
New Coven Member

Postby twilightery on Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:50 pm

fallayna wrote:The first type of fanfiction I started out reading was *gasp* Hanson fanfiction. I started reading it in 1998 a year after Hanson got insanely popular with all of us teeny boppers at the time. I would stay awake til 5am reading updated stories and talking about them, etc. I was 14 at the time and it was summer, so I didn't get into too much trouble LOL! I remember getting pissed at my dial-up internet when it didn't want to connect and couldn't read my stories.

When I grew bored of Hanson fanfiction, I went on to Backstreet Boys and N'Sync.

I didn't start reading again until 05 or 06 when I started watching That 70's Show and became obsessed with the Jackie/Hyde ship. Then I moved onto Pirates of the Carribean and now it's Twilight and Harry Potter!

So yeah, I'm old but I'm still a teenager at heart! What about you guys??

This describes me perfectly...even down to the dial-up lol. My family used to make 10 hour car rides 2-3 times a summer and I always brought along a new notebook for my own fan fic.

Out of curiosity, what were some of your faves? I will never forget Just One of Those Things by Llamaesque.

Goodness I'm such a nerd! LOL
What I'm Currently Reading:

ImageImage
ImageImage
twilightery
Human
Human

Postby fallayna on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:43 pm

Wow.... there are so many! LOL! Here are my top favorites!

Walls & Roads (Awesome!!)
The Quiet One
Catapult
Anything at www.aloneinthepretense.org
Zac says Tay still wets the Bed (LMAO, this one was hilariously badly written but a classic)
Weeping Willow
Bed of Lies and it's Sequel Happily Ever After doesn't Exist
Deep Blue Heart
Holding onto Nothing & it's Sequel Divided, We fall
Tulsa 74132
Avery
Devil Angel
My Father, Taylor Hanson
So, there was this boy...
I'm not a player, I just crush a lot...
Lived
Nothing moves At Midnight
Blond over Blue
Burn
Drunk
Living up The Ghost
Perfect girl.

There's WAY more I could list, but these came to mind first!
fallayna
Bitten
Bitten

Postby fallayna on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:44 pm

alexajaye wrote:Not only did I read Hanson fiction, I wrote it! I was only seventeen, but I'd already been writing for eight years. They were a stepping stone for me. The best band I've ever heard.

I started reading fanfiction around that time, but I don't remember when I started reading FanFiction.net. I started reading Harry Potter fiction, but I could never write it. Harry Potter is just perfect to me, so I couldn't ever mess with it.

I didn't start reading Twilight fanfiction until after Breaking Dawn had come out, and at that point, I was already writing my own Twilight fiction. I've got over a dozen stories and counting. But I also read Avatar and Supernatural. Percy Jackson and James Bond. I try to have a really eclectic collection of stories to draw from.

Were any of your stories on the web, may I ask? I might have read them!
fallayna
Bitten
Bitten

Postby alexajaye on Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:57 pm

fallayna wrote:
alexajaye wrote:Not only did I read Hanson fiction, I wrote it! I was only seventeen, but I'd already been writing for eight years. They were a stepping stone for me. The best band I've ever heard.

Were any of your stories on the web, may I ask? I might have read them!

Unfortunately, no. Most of my Hanson fiction is still in binder notebooks on my shelf. And I protect them pretty fiercely. I looked over the list of fiction you have there, and I think I've read a few of those. Catapult was a really good story.

I might get all my Hanson fiction on my computer at some point in the future, but right now, I don't have the time. I focus mostly on my original fiction, and well, my Twilight fiction too. By the time I wanted to post any of my Hanson fiction, I think they'd already banned RP on FanFiction, so I'd have to get a blog or something. Like I said, I focus on other stuff now.
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein

Dark Angel: Light Within Darkness EdwardxOC

The Ties that Bind Post BD ExB

The Choices We Make Sort of Edward/Bella with some Lucy at the end

Rainbows and Storm Clouds - Carlisle and Edward

^My Twilight stories on FanFiction.

Bonding over Debussy and Chocolate Milk

My New story on The Writer's Coffee Shop.

My Photobucket

^Warning: Some spoilers unless you read my stories.

^^awesome banner made by Me

^^ Banner made by me for my new story <-- Check it out
alexajaye
Newborn
Newborn

Postby asanderd on Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:54 pm

I am about to totally age my self here.. But mine was The Moffatt's... I was 11 or twelve and this was prior to me having the internet so far as I was concerned me, my friend, and cousin were the only people in the world who wrote FF... And because I didn't have the internet it was called writing stories! lol After the Moffatts', it was Hanson followed by *Nsync and then I stopped for a while then I started writing CSI... which I am ashamed to say I haven't updated my FF.NET story in well before Nick was buried alive! yeah... I still have it but just haven't done anything with it. I've not written since then, just read Twilight, but would love to get my hands on some Remember Me stuff!

Oh an I have an obscene about of note books... it is scary!
"Shoot for the Moon, even if you miss. You'll land among the Stars"~~ Les Brown

ImageImageImageImageImage

Favorite line from a story...

Rosalie's Rant to Edward after the family dinner
“Edward. My feet are so swollen, I can barely walk. I threw up at least twice a day for the past two months, up until last week. I have heartburn every time I swallow something, and this morning I had a nosebleed. Oh, and to top it off, today I saw my first stretch mark! So leave me the fuck alone, you smelly ass, bohemian motherfucker.”

Unexpected by ooohlalaaa
asanderd
Human
Human

Next

Return to General Fic Discussion